Thursday, February 6, 2014

C4T #1

The Problem with Relevance
In my assigned teacher's blog the author, John Spencer, explains how there is a dark side to relevance. He explains in his first paragraph how technologist promise us a personalized experience based upon our interest in things, such as Spotify and Pandora. Another example shown in his blog was how your news feed on Facebook is determined by what pages you like and who your friends are. Spencer explains how the "relevance" filter, such as on Facebook, feeds him things he agrees with or has interest in. This is why he believes there is a problem with relevance. He explains that he needs to engage in hard conversation with those he may not agree with so his view on the world can be broadened.

My Response
I explained how I completely agree with him. I have noticed on multiple occasions how my Facebook page is geared towards things that I am comfortable with and agree with. I explained how I agree with him on the fact that relevance can hold people back from learning and exploring new things. I agree with him that we all need people who engage and sometimes irritate us so we can broaden our views on the world.

We Still Use Spreadsheets
In my second assigned post from John Spencer, We Still Use Spreadsheets, he took a survey by asking people what app or program they use the most. The number one answer he received, from doctors to accountants, was spreadsheets. He explained how he understands that kids are now suppose to be learning how to use greater programs out there and that we need to move past the "old school tools." Spencer said after stopping and thinking about his survey he realized that he uses spreadsheets all the time. Spreadsheets are used more than we realize, from budgeting to data analyzing. He explained how spreadsheets are powerful for what all they can do. They can add formulas, sort, and make graphs. Spencer explained how there are now multiple programs that can do about everything a spreadsheet can do. He explained how he still uses spreadsheet in his classroom even if they are not considered "cool". He said that spreadsheets are amazing from what all they can manage and accomplish.

My Response
I explained how I also love spreadsheets and think they are pretty amazing. I think spreadsheets are great for budgeting money each month. I explained to John Spencer that I believe that all students need to be taught how to use spreadsheets. In his blog he said that he still uses spreadsheets in his classroom. I responded to that saying I think that is great and I hope there are more teachers out there that are like him that will continue to use spreadsheets in the classroom.
Spreadsheet

No comments:

Post a Comment